Sunday, July 10, 2016

Fig Refigerator Jam

When I think of figs, I think of my younger years, my mom loved them and had planted a tree as soon as we moved into our new home in Phoenix.
Yuk!
To a teenager they were not oranges, my new fun fruit I could pick off the tree in our yard.  They were too sweet, gritty and weird.
It's been a loooong time since that first taste. 
I must have done some growing and changing because, wow! I love them now!
My bestest friend has 2 trees in her yard. Huge, old trees that are full of fruit. Isy and I picked a few bags full yesterday and it became a new love!
Simple, easy fruit that you rinse, chop, add sugar, water and lemon juice to make a delicious refrigerator jam that is awesome with bread or cheese and crackers etc.





 
 


"Fig Refrigerator Jam"


1 lb. figs 

1/2 c. water

3/4 c. sugar

1/2 tsp. lemon zest (optional)
 
1/2 c. lemon juice

In a medium sauce pan, combine all ingredients.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat & cover.
Simmer approximately 1 hour.

Remove from heat and mash with a potato masher.

After cooling, place in jam jars and store in the refrigerator.

Keeps up to 2 weeks 





Thanks for visiting!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment