Sunday, February 26, 2012

Conversation Art

Today I was pondering how hard it is for me to start a conversation these days.  I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and would rather listen more? I am turning into my mother in so many ways ;) Or if it's because I'm intimidated with personal insecurities or maybe it's the idea that it can actually be exhausting. 
Whatever it is I know how important it is to be able to converse well.
Everyone likes to communicate, especially us girls ;)  
I love going to a party or get-together and be able to talk to everyone.  Especially if there's kids! They're the most fun because they don't really care how perfect or put together you are, they're just happy that you're interested in them! Hmmmm.....maybe that should be a clue to us adults with how we are with each other?
Anyway, I was looking around the web for some thoughts on conversation and found a few fun conversation starters.
Try a few of these....


1. What do you wanna be when you grow up? (Use it with adults)
2. What did you want to do when you were 5?
3. What was the last really dumb thing you did?
4. What's the best gift you ever received?
5. What's the farthest you have ever traveled in a car? 
6. What's the grossest  food you ever tasted?
7. What's your favorite Dr. Suess book?
8. Who's your favorite Muppet?


If you want to have a little more serious conversation here's a few...


1. Where do you go for advice?
2. Where were you on  Sept. 11/01?
3. What habit are you most proud of breaking?


Above all else I think it's most important to let that person know you're truly interested in what they have to say. 
I like these wise quotes:


'Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you'd have preferred to talk." 
Doug Larson



"A good listener is not only popular everywhere, but after a while he knows something." 
Wilson Mizner



As always, thank you for visiting and I hope you were encouraged on this subject. 
I appreciate any comments or ideas you have on the subject.




1 comment:

  1. I've recently realized the same about myself! I'm not the best conversation starter and these are great ideas. Thanks for sharing ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete